test

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

when you can't find a job

I have been officially unemployed since Christmas. As a hobby, I enjoyed selling items online for the past few years, beginning with all the junk that we didn't have room to store during our house renovations. (My husband is astonished at the things people will buy, and I can't wait to ask him, "Guess how much I got for [insert random item] today?") Since losing my job, I have continued selling items online.  However, on such a small scale, it doesn't exactly pay the bills. And so, the idea to start my own business was born.

But what could I do, and where would I start? 
What what I good at? What are my passions? So, I started a list.

1. I enjoy rooting through other people's old crap. Absolutely love it. You never know when you're going to find something really, really interesting. 

2. You never know when you're going to get something for FREE. (I am sure that my Dutch ancestors would be really, really proud!)

3. I am a minimalist at heart. Clutter makes me crazy. My favourite part of teaching was getting my classroom ready for the beginning of a new school year. Everything was clean, fresh, new, and....organized. 

4. I love the thrill of buying and selling. I am constantly on the lookout for bag sales and other great deals at thrift stores all around town in order to sell the items for a profit online.

And so, in this spirit, ORGANIZE ME! was born.

I know there is a market for professional organizers. I know there are people with basements and garages full of crap. I know there are people who are so overwhelmed by their clutter, that they just don't know where to start. I know there are people who just want their junk gone. I know there are people who would love to sell their junk, but don't know where to start. And golly, I sure would love to help! 

In order to gain some experience and some references, am doing some de-cluttering, sorting, and online selling work for family members just for fun. I am currently working on selling some items online that were left over from my husband's late uncle's estate.  I regularly scrounge my list of thrift stores for bargains on things that are hot selling items online. I currently have two clients for whom I am selling items on consignment. 

I have no idea if this idea is going to take off or not; however, I have been constantly applying for other jobs for the past six months without so much as an interview. I feel strongly that God is closing all the doors in order to give me this time to have a break and figure some things out.

Of course, now that I've found my passion, I would love to be able to make a living doing it. I absolutely LOVE sorting and selling stuff. I enjoy helping people and making their lives better. I LOVE being my own boss, setting my own hours, and being the one solely in charge of expenses and profits.

I am still in process of looking for another part-time job. (Anyone know someone who's hiring??) Whether it's admin work, supply teaching, tutoring, or something else, I am hoping something comes up to help with the cash flow. But I'm confident that in God's timing, things will come together and I'll end up where He wants me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment