test

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

when you can't find a job - part three

Didn't think there was going to be a "part 3" did you? (Ha! Me neither!) Well, read on...

Some of you may not have know this, but before Organize Me! and The County Cupboard were born, I worked as a Kindergarten teacher. I taught in Trenton from 2005 until getting laid off in 2011. Then I picked up a maternity leave position in Picton, which ended in December 2012.  

To be perfectly honest, I didn't miss teaching. I was so emotionally and physically drained after my Year From Hell, that I really needed some time away from the classroom (and well...away from kids) to rest, and just focus on me. The fact that I didn't miss the busy-ness, the stress, or the kids--as well as the fact that there were no available teaching jobs anywhere in the area, were all clear indicators that I was not supposed to be teaching. 

My husband has always been very supportive of my business ventures; however, he did think it was a shame that I was unable to use my teaching degree. In June, he had brought up the idea of me doing some tutoring. I put out some advertisements, but there was just not a lot of interest at the time. While I wasn't getting a whole lot from EI, it was enough to cover our groceries, gas, and car insurance--with a little spending money for house renovations. Unfortunately, my EI ran out mid-July, and while both my businesses were doing well, they weren't generating enough income to make up for it. 

Again, my husband brought up the idea of tutoring. Again, I advertised. This time, I ended up with a great response: I signed up 6 students for summer tutoring in a matter of a few days! And thus began my third business venture of the year: 1-2-3 LearnI was really excited. Well, until I found out that I'd be tutoring mostly grade 5, 6, and 7 math, that is! Math has always been my worst subject, but I wasn't about to turn down a paying job because of it. 

So, a few weeks ago, I started privately tutoring my first couple of students. And much to my surprise, I really enjoyed it. Even when I had to do math. My kids come right to my house for an hour at a time, and I do math problems on paper right along with my math students. (They think it's great when I make a mistake and they get the right answer!) It keeps me on my toes. And it keeps me humble. They are a great bunch of kids!

I have applied to several local schools to be on their emergency supply teacher lists. I have also applied to the Hastings-Prince Edward District School Board for their supply list (one of the hardest to get on, I've been told). I think I might enjoy an occasional call to go into school. But in the meantime, I'm enjoying helping kids one-on-one right from my kitchen table.




No comments:

Post a Comment